To introduce myself, my name is Jackie Mew and I am the Chair of the Board of Governors at Houghton Regis Primary School. I have been on the Governing Body for many years and am now delighted to be taking up the post of Chair.
Over the years I have been associated with the Governors, their role has evolved greatly. We work in close partnership with the head teacher and are involved in most aspects of the running of the school and have many responsibilities to uphold. Although the main governing body meetings are only held once a term, there are many sub-committees that meet regularly to report back to the main body and governors will regularly be seen in and around the school fulfilling their duties.
So what is the official role?
The following is a direct extract from the ‘Education (School Government) (Terms of Reference) Regulations’
The role of the governing body
– (1) The governing body shall exercise their functions with a view to fulfilling a largely strategic role in the running of the school.
(2) The governing body shall establish a strategic framework for the school by –
(a) setting aims and objectives for the school;
(b) setting policies for achieving those aims and objectives;
(c) setting targets for achieving those aims and objectives.
(3) The governing body shall monitor and evaluate progress in the school towards achievement of the aims and objectives set and regularly review the strategic framework for the school in the light of that progress.
(4) In exercising the functions in paragraphs (2) and (3) above, the governing body shall –
(a) (subject to any other statutory provision) comply with any trust deed relating to the school; and
(b) consider any advice given by the head teacher under regulation 5(2) below.
(5) The governing body shall act as “critical friend” to the head teacher, that is to say, they shall support the head teacher in the performance of his functions and give him constructive criticism.
There you are in a nutshell!
Actually, we like to think that we are just part of the ‘team’ that runs the school. We each have experience and skills to help in different ways and are a mix of teachers, parents, local government officers, LEA (Local Education Authority) representatives and community representatives. yes, we have our roles and responsibilities and are accountable for our actions, but I feel at Houghton Regis Primary School we go further than that. You’ll also see us helping out at school functions, helping maintain the school and always on the look out for ways to improve the fabric of the school.
I like to think that our actions contribute to the local popularity of the school and the great achievements of all the children that attend.
If you would like any further information, or like to meet to discuss any matters, then do not hesitate to contact me. This can be done through the school.
Dates of our next Full Governing Body Meetings: 27th September 2016, 7 February 2017, 16 May 2017